Below are a list of training courses that we offer to all employees at Modus Care. The majority of our extensive training and development programme is delivered in-house by our own team of specialist trainers.
We also have local links with higher education establishments and actively support staff in taking under graduate, post graduate, professional and post registration programmes of education.
Our current training programme includes the following:
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder AwarenessThis one day course provides an introduction to autistic spectrum disorders. This course is aimed at candidates who are new to ASD.
- Positive Approaches to supporting people with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (BILD)This 2 day course explains the concepts of the Autistic Spectrum, the triad of impairment and the role of the senses. It also deals with behavioural characteristics associated with ASD and the possible causes of autism. This detailed course also covers the challenges in relation to communication, social interaction, imagination and interpretation and discusses how effective communication is achieved and how appropriate support can be provided. This fully participative course is aimed at candidates with some experience of ASD.
- Protection of Vulnerable AdultsThis half day course covers the following topics: values of care, definitions of abuse and neglect, types of abuse, signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect, vulnerability factors, effects of abuse and neglect, legislation, how to respond to allegations of abuse and neglect, whistle blowing. This course is delivered by our in house trainers using the Devon County Council model.
- Positive Behaviour Management (PRT Ltd)
Positive Behavioural Management (PBM) is mandatory for all Modus Care employees. This three day intensive course has both theoretical and practical elements. The techniques learnt during this course enable employees to safely and ethically manage any dangerous and or physically aggressive behaviour presented by clients. PBM has been developed over many years by behavioural specialists and is delivered in-house by our own qualified PBM trainers.
- Staff InductionWe are currently in the process of updating our staff induction programme. The updated version will be rolled on from September 2011.
- Emergency First Aid at workThis comprehensive one day course is delivered by one of our approved external training providers. This HSE approved course covers the following topics: Legal requirements of a first aider, safety at the scene of an accident, resuscitation, unconscious casualty management, recovery position, shock, control of bleeding, burns, choking, recognition of common/major illnesses and actions to take.
- Manual HandlingThis half day course covers the following topics: definition of the term manual handling, legislation, hazardous occupations in relation to manual handling, common manual handing related injuries, costs of poor manual handling practices, benefits of good manual handling practices, contributing factors to manual handling related injuries, functions of the spine, high risk manual handling activities, suitable manual handling control measures, safe methods of moving and handling of loads. This course is delivered by our qualified and H.A.B.C accredited in house trainer.
- Health & SafetyThis detailed half day course covers the following topics: legislation, accidents, slips trips and falls, personal protective equipment, fire, electricity, manual handling, working at height, work equipment, workplace and welfare facilities, safety signs, coshh, first aid and display screen equipment. This course is delivered by our qualified and accredited H.A.B.C trainer.
- Food Hygiene
This one day course includes the legislative framework; food safety hazards, temperature control, refrigeration, chilling and cold holding, cooking, hot holding and re heating, food handling, principles of safe food storage, cleaning food premises and equipment. This course is delivered by one of our approved external C.I.E.H accredited training providers.
- Administration of Medication in Social Care settingsThis comprehensive half day course includes: what is a medicine, legislation, types of medication, prescribing of medication, safe storage, safe disposal, importance of choice and independence, self administration, contra indications and allergies, administration process, refusal of medication/importance of consent, compliance aids, reporting mistakes, maintaining records, recognising changes, 7 rights of medication. This course is delivered by our own qualified in house trainer.
- Mental Health Act
This half day course includes: understanding what the MHA 1983 is for, who it applies to and how it is applied, understanding a patients’ rights and their right to withhold consent to treatment, issues such as next of kin and nearest relative and the law on capacity to consent to medical treatment or social care is also discussed. This course is delivered by a professionally qualified Mental Health Act Advisor from the Cornwall NHS Trust.
- Mental Capacity ActThis half day course covers the following topics: what is mental capacity, the purpose of the mental capacity act, background history to the act, the five core principles, how to assess capacity, the decision maker, best interests, reasonable belief, advance decisions, lasting power of attorney, court appointed deputies, the office of the public guardian, the court of protection, IMCAS, DOLS, common complaints surrounding DOLS, the difference between a deprivation and a restriction of liberty, additional points to consider surrounding DOLS, the DOLS process, the 6 stage DOLS test, urgent authorisations. This course is delivered by our in house trainer.
- EpilepsyThis specialist course is delivered to employees specifically working with service users/patients with epilepsy. This course is delivered by one of our approved external training providers. The course covers the following topics: what is epilepsy, causes of epilepsy, types of epilepsy, diagnosis and treatment, anti epileptic medication, first aid for seizures, recognising the emergency situation.
- Diploma in Health & Social Care Level 2 & 3 (incl. Leadership & Management level 4)Modus Care has established links with local and national educational and training establishments to assist in the facilitation of its programme of nationally recognised Health and Social Care qualifications.
- Fire Awareness
This half day course covers the following topics: Legislation, what is fire, the fire triangle, common causes of fire, fire spread, fire prevention, costs of poor fire safety, benefits of good fire safety, fire checks, action to take on discovering a fire, fire evacuation, fire detection equipment, fire extinguishers, safety signs, risk assessment, the role of the fire warden. This course is delivered by our qualified H.A.B.C accredited in house trainer.
- Fire WardenThis one day course is based on the fire awareness course but is more detailed and is aimed at staff who manage fire safety within the units. This course is delivered by our qualified H.A.B.C accredited in house trainer.
- Infection ControlThis comprehensive half day course includes chain of infection; means of transmission; cleaning; hand washing, personal hygiene, disinfection; sterilization and more. The course is delivered by one of our approved external training providers.
- Equality & Diversity
This half day course covers the following topics: values of care, legislation, prejudice and stereotypes, types of discrimination, vicious circle of prejudice, culture, respect, responsibilities, language and terminology, equal opportunities. This course is delivered by our qualified in house trainer.
- Management Training
Modus Care provides a range of management training including recruitment and selection and supervision and appraisal training.
- Specific Training
Our training department are able to source a wide range of training courses that assist our staff in meeting the needs of the service users/patients that we provide a service for.